Saturday, October 27, 2012

A Fiddler On The Roof

The first thing I think of when I hear the word "tradition" is the movie Fiddler On The Roof. The entire movie follows a Jewish family and the rich traditions of the Jewish culture as it is being attacked by the Germans. The community's traditions are alter and their whole world is turned upside down.

Now I didn't say all that to suggest that Converse's traditions are anywhere close to Jewish traditions, but like Dr. Vaneman said traditions do change over time.

Something I think would be a really funny tradition to start would be to kidnap the freshman and take them fountain hopping during Big Sis Little Sis week.

How do would you pull this crazy idea off,  you say? If you can follow what I'm putting down, this would be fun, just you wait.

Now, we all know Big Sis Little Sis week is pretty crazy especially with all the Bigs Facebook stalking and creeping, the Littles getting random gifts from people in weird costumes and anxiously waiting to find out if they got a good Big or not. To add to the chaos, I think it would fun if the Bigs came and kidnapped the Littles kind of late one night, dressed up in their crazy costumes, and took them fountain hopping across campus. This could possibly be done the first night of Big Sis Little Sis week because the Littles are too excited to go to bed soon after their gifts are given.

About 30 minutes after the gifts have been passed out, the runners who gave out gifts or the Bigs in disguises could run down the halls with loud horns and pots and make the freshman come with them. The Littles would then be taken to the different fountains on campus and be told to jump in along with the Bigs or runners. I think this would be a funny way to "initiate"the freshmen to Converse without being rude or bullying. It would be so fun to look at pictures of and to talk about later.

I know some people would think this would be too extreme and freak out the freshman too much, but I think it would be pretty funny. I know I would be laughing the entire time! Anyone want to help me out?

P.S.- If you haven't seen Fiddler On The Roof, I highly recommend you see it. Here's the opening scene of the movie where they first introduce some of the traditions of the Jewish culture.
           http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJO35zU5bXg

6 comments:

  1. I like this...two years from now, we will be big sis candidates...yes yes?(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too stinkin adorable Lydia. To adjust it a little, I think it should HAVE to be the bigs that kidnap and go fountain hopping. This is also really creative. And yes, we will be big sis candidates in two years! Whether it becomes a tradition or not I think we should do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This idea sounds like so much fun! I think the idea of our bigs kidnapping us to do anything like fountain hopping or maybe paint the spirit rock is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a ton of fun!!! Maybe we can try that out when we are juniors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fountain hopping is SO MUCH FUN!!!!! Ive done it about twice this year and Ive been the designated picture taker.:P I think making it a part of Big Sis Little Sis would be awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you'll be a Big sooner than you realize, so maybe you can drop all your Littles into fountains to your heart's content! And we actually did Fiddler on the Roof here a couple of years ago. It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete